Wastewater treatment plant of the future: Energy storage in interaction with technical infrastructure between the poles of energy generation and consumption
Development of a planning tool for the transition of flexible energy flows of a wastewater treatment plant in interaction with the infra- structure. An important technical component is thereby the sewage treatment as an energy consumer, storage and producer.
- System considerations: Acquisition and visualisation of the dynamic energy flows of the wastewater treatment plant in cooperation with the technical infrastructure, further development of the wastewater treatment plant towards an energy supplier in cross-sectorial interac- tion of energy flows
- Technology: Development of a sewage sludge treatment and dis- posal as functional component for a flexible energy system, i.e. ener- gy consumption, -storage, and –production; optimisation of the diges- tion for a flexible energy usage; development/expansion of the appli- cation of new anaerobic digestion technologies (high load digestion); development of treatment combinations for an utilisation of hardly resp. non-degradable substances via thermal pressure hydrolysis; development of an overall system for thermal sewage sludge treat- ment under consideration of new treatment technologies as well as Phosphor recovery (resource-conserving sewage sludge treatment and disposal).
- Ecological assessment of the measures for energy optimisa- tion/flexibilisation in respect of the environmental impact respectively the wastewater and sewage sludge treatment (besides carbondioxid process driven greenhouse gas emissions, e.g. methane and nitrous oxide during wastewater and sewage sludge treatment or mercury during thermal treatment)
- Analysis of driving forces and inhibiting factors for the analysed technology options, cross-sectorial organisation, integration of deci- sion makers, multi criteria evaluation, whereby economic, ecological and social costs and benefits are incorporated based on a business assessment.
- Transfer: Development of a planning tool for the integration of the wastewater treatment plant into an integrated energy system; the aim is to transfer the obtained research findings (exemplary determined for the “Science City Darmstadt”) on the basis of a planning tool. Thereby an application tool develops via the established key figures under consideration of down- as well as up-scaling. The results are implemented via a code of practice in combination with an application tool, available among experts through an interactive internet platform.